Men's Soccer Can't Come Up With The Win Over The Bengals

Men's Soccer Can't Come Up With The Win Over The Bengals

Medford, MA- On a cold and rainy night, the Falcons headed to Hormel in hopes of snapping their two game winless streak, but instead they faced a tough University of Maine-Fort Kent Bengals team who had only one loss in 11 games coming in to tonight's action. The Bengals continued that win streak, finding the back of the net three times while coming away with the 3-0 win over the Falcons. The win improves the Bengals record to 9-1-2, while the Falcons fall to 6-5-2.

Neither team could get settled early on under the rainy sky as there were only two shots on goal in the first 20 minutes of play, both by the Bengals offense and both stopped by Falcons keeper Christopher Garcia (Rowland Heights, CA). But UMFK grabbed the 1-0 lead in the 21st minute as Travar Mccollah got free for a shot that snuck by Garcia to give the visitors the lead. The Bengals continued to pressure the Falcons defense, holding the Falcons shotless until the 38th minute when Andree Molina (El Paso, TX) got a shot off that sailed wide left. He added another shot that tailed right just two minutes later, keeping the score 1-0 heading into halftime.

The Falcons had a chance to tie it coming out of the break, earning a penalty kick just 30 seconds into the second half. Molina was denied though, on an impressive save from Bengals keeper Reece Pelletier. Molina followed up with another shot off the ricochet but was again denied by Pelletier who got his hand on it knocking it out of bounds giving the Falcons their first corner kick of the match. Jonathan Collins drove it through the middle, but couldn't find a Falcon to finish it, keeping it a 1-0 game. 

UMFK outshot the Falcons just 3-0 over the next 30 minutes of play, and it wasn't until the 83rd minute that the Bengals struck again, this time on a corner kick. Mccollah took the kick for the visitors and placed in a perfect spot for Nickolaus Gayle to put it past the diving Garcia to give his team a 2-0 lead with just seven minutes left on the clock. Mccollah added his second goal of the night and last second insurance when he scored with 90 seconds remaining to put the game out of reach, sealing the 3-0 victory for his squad.

Molina tallied the only four shots of the contest for the Falcons, two on goal, while Garcia played a strong game in net, making eight saves in the losing effort. Mccollah led the way for the Bengals racking up five points with a pair of goals and an assist in the win. 

The Falcons will go to the tape over their next ten days off as their next contest will be a rematch against the Bengals, this time on the campus of Fort Kent on Saturday October 19th at 2pm.