The Falcons Lose A Heartbreaker In OT Against Conference Rival WAU Shock

The Falcons Lose A Heartbreaker In OT Against Conference Rival WAU Shock

Medford, MA- On Monday evening the Men's Soccer team squared off against AII Conference rival, Washington Adventist University Shock (6-1), and it was everything a soccer fan could hope for. Right from the start the tempers flared and the tension was tight as each team were vying for a post season berth into the AII Conference playoffs. Ninety minutes of regulation time was not enough to decide as the two teams finished 2-2. But just two minutes into the first OT, WAU's Gianfranco Castillon crossed a pass across the box to find Daniel Moreira who found his way through the Fisher defense to knock it home for the 3-2 OT win. The loss brings the Falcons record to 6-4-1 overall, while the Shock improves to 6-1.

The game started slow offensively for both teams as neither could test the keepers out of the gate. There were only two shots through the first 15 minutes of play, both belonging to the Shock but neither could find their way past Falcons keeper Christopher Garcia (Rowland Heights, CA). In the 19th minute, the Shock found a way as the Moreira trio worked together to make it a 1-0 game. It started with a Daniel Moreira shot that sailed right and out of bounds, but on the goal kick the Shock kept in their zone and Lucas Moreira passed it to Thiago Moreira who knocked it home for the early lead. Andree Molina (El Paso, TX), changed that just five minutes later when he dribbled his way through Shock defenders to loft a shot over Shock's keeper Shawn McGuire to quickly tie it right back up 1-1. Both teams had chances before halftime to score, with Falcons best chance off a Joel Bailey (Derrider, LA) open look, but McGuire punched it over the crossbar to keep the teams knotted heading into the break. 

They physical play continued into the second half as six yellow cards were issued over the last 60 minutes of play, both teams eager to come away with the win. The two teams traded shots on goal in the first few minutes of play in the second half, but a WAU foul would give the Falcons a free kick just outside of the box. Fisher's Pedro Wagner (Porto Alegre, Brazil) booted it high and to the right, out of the reach of McGuire to put his team up 2-1 at the 54:42 mark, and giving him his second goal of the season. Just minutes later the Falcons had a chance to take a two-goal edge with Jonathan Collins (Southwick, MA) and Kervens Surpris (Pompano Beach, FL) putting a pair of shots on goal, but McGuire grabbed them both to keep it a 2-1 game. Garcia was key down the stretch for the Falcons, coming up with four flashy saves to keep his team up with ten minutes left on the clock. It looked like the Falcons would pull it out, but the Shock's Mario Zelaya tied the game with six minutes left in regulation, finishing a deflected shot from Castillon to make it a 2-2 contest. The Shock had another scoring chance in the last few minutes of regulation but could not capitalize and the two teams headed to OT.

The Shock wasted no time in OT and were able to score just 2:17 into the period as Castillon earned his second assist of the game by sending one across the goal for Moreira to finish and claiming the hard-earned 3-2 victory. Steven Jagba (Boston, MA) led the Falcons in shots while Garcia made seven saves in the losing effort. Daniel Moreira led the Shock with seven shots, while McGuire earned the victory collecting five saves. 

Fisher returns to the pitch on Wednesday evening when they play host to the Becker College Hawks who are 1-9 this season.