Brookline, MA -- The Newbury College Nighthawks closed out the Fisher College Falcons, 15-13, in the final set to hold on to victory in a five-set thriller, Friday night at Hellenic College. The Nighthawks, who earned their second win of the season, held off a strong Falcons comeback attempt to take the non-conference victory. The Fisher Falcons fall in 5-6 with the loss.
Newbury opened up with an early two-set lead, taking the first, 26-24, and the second, 25-20, while Fisher managed to take the third set, 25-20, before forcing the fifth set with a 25-19 win in the 4th.
How it Happened
1st Set: 26-24, Newbury
- The Falcons jumped out to an early 4-2 lead on multiple Newbury errors.
- The Nighthawks fought back, to eventually take a 14-13 lead on a Stephanie Rheaume kill
- The Falcons and Nighthawks would trade points until a Fisher attack error handed Newbury the 1st set.
2nd Set: 25-20, Newbury
- A Govanna Rosado kill gave Fisher the sets first point but Newbury would jump out to a 6-2 lead after two Marlen Reynoso service aces.
- Fisher would get things close at 5-6 but an 8-2 Newbury run extended their lead to 14-7.
- The Falcons cut the lead to three, 15-18, but Newbury managed to hold off Fisher after multiple unforced errors.
3rd Set, 25-20, Fisher
- Rheaume's two kills gave Newbury an early 3-0 set lead.
- Fisher would win eight of the next 12 points to take an 8-7 lead
- Led by Lia Ames three kills, Fisher extended their lead to 21-14.
- Newbury mounted a small comeback attempt but Periya Yath's kill eventually ended the set for Fisher.
4th Set, 25-19, Fisher
- The Nighthawks and Falcons traded points before Fisher grabbed a 10-8 lead.
- Aces by Rosado, Natie Manalo, and Yath paced the Falcons in the 4th set win.
- Mackenzie Tourville recorded the lone service ace for the Nighthawks in the set
5th Set, 15-13, Newbury
- Rosado opened up the set with an ace for Fisher but the each team traded points early.
- A Marlen Reynoso kill gave them a 9-8 lead but a Rosado kill tied things up again.
- Back to back attack errors by Ames gave Newbury an 11-9 lead before a Julia Leggett kill made in 12-9 Newbury.
- Fisher cut the lead to 11-12 but the Nighthawks closed things out with after two straight Fisher service errors.
Julia Leggett - 12 Kills, 15 Digs, 5 Assists, 1 Service Ace
Stephanie Rheaume - 12 Kills, 14 Digs, 1 Service Ace
Marlen Reynsoso - 7 Kills, 20 Digs, 23 Assists, 4 Service Aces
Lia Ames - 11 Kills, 11 Digs, 2 Assists, 3 Service Aces
Periya Yath - 7 Kills, 15 Digs, 3 Assists, 4 Service Aces
Govanna Rosado - 15 Kills, 18 Digs, 27 Assists, 7 Service Aces
Newbury hosts Elms College in NECC action Tuesday, October 3rd at 7:00 PM
Fisher returns to action on Sunday, October 8th at the University of Fort Kent at 12:30 PM