Score: Emerson 81, Fisher 61
Records: Emerson Lions (9-10, 2-8 NEWMAC); Fisher Falcons (9-11, 0-1 NIAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: January 28, 2017
The Lead: Junior Sierra Ducey (Poway, Calif.) racked up her fourth double-double effort of the season with 11 points and game-high 18 rebounds to lead the Emerson women's basketball team to a 81-61 triumph over the Fisher Falcons in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ducey finished 5-for-8 from the field with 11 points, 18 rebounds, eight assists, two steals and one block.
- Along with Ducey, Emerson had three more starters put up double-figures in points - junior Eastin Ashby (Pittston, Penn.) racked up a team-best 18 points, while sophomore Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) chipped in 17 and junior Maya Savino (Killingworth, Conn.) added 10.
- Murphy Carroll paced Fisher with an overall game-best 20 points and saw three of its starters put up double-digits in points.
- Aliyanah McIntosh and Skylar Robinson each tallied a team-high seven rebounds and three assists. McIntosh also had four steals.
- Emerson finished shooting 49.3% from the field with 9-of-26 (34.6%) from beyond the arc and were 33.3% (4-of-12) from the charity stripe. The Lions beat the Falcons on the glass (47-35) and in the paint (33-20).
- Fisher made 22-of-65 (33.8%) of their shots, went 3-for-18 (16.7%) on three-point attempts and made 14-of-19 (73.7%) on the free throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions opened up the opening quarter on a 12-6 run to give them their biggest lead of six at 13-7 after Savino canned a three with 4:33 left to play in the first.
- Fisher began to chip away at Emerson's lead and used an 8-2 push to square the score at 15-all with 33 ticks remaining before Ducey sent up a layup to give the Lions the 17-15 lead entering the second.
- After a triple from Savino extended the Lions lead back to five (20-15), a 8-2 streak by the Falcons pushed them ahead, 23-22, for the first time since 7:36 of the first quarter.
- With 3:31 left to play in the first half, Emerson began to distance themselves from Fisher and tallied 12 points, including a pair of three's from senior Elizabeth Horan (Ashland, Mass.), put Emerson on top 34-24 at the half.
- Both Emerson and Fisher tallied 22 points each in the third quarter with the Lions maintaining the 10 point lead going into the final 10 minutes at 56-46.
- At the 2:51 mark of the third quarter, Emerson gained its largest lead of 22 on a jumper from freshman Leena Kardacz (Harleysville, Penn.) and put the score at 56-34.
- Murphy Carroll nailed a triple to close out the third and brought Fisher within 10 at 56-46.
- Emerson shot 52.4% from the floor within the fourth quarter and allowed them to balloon its double-digit lead out even more.
- The closest Fisher came within Emerson was 12 at 7:56 of the fourth as the Lions offense took off through the remainder of the quarter to seal the 81-61 win.
- Emerson remains at home and opens up their February schedule with a NEWMAC matchup against Wheaton (Mass.) on Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m.
- Fisher heads off to Anna Maria on Tuesday, January 31 at 7:00 p.m.