Score: Wesleyan 82, Fisher 48
Records: Wesleyan (7-10); Fisher (9-10)
Location: Middletown, Conn.
Date: Wednesday, January 25
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's basketball team set a single-game program record with 14 three-pointers Wednesday night, as the Cardinals cruised to a commanding 82-48 victory over Fisher College.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was all Wesleyan from the opening tip as a lay-up by Maddie Bledsoe '19 just six seconds into play, followed by a steal and three-pointer by Lauren Gaj '17 quickly put the Cardinals up 5-0 at the 9:27 mark.
- Minutes later, Olivia Gorman '19 hit one from behind-the-arc to give the home team an 11-point advantage, 15-4, with 5:39 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Falcons cut the deficit to six late, but another Wesleyan three-pointer, this time from Kadijah Mathews '18, gave the Cardinals a 22-13 lead after one.
- Wesleyan came out hot in the second with an 11-0 run capped off by a lay-up by Tara Berger '19 at the 8:16 mark to give the home team a 20-point lead.
- Fisher responded with a run of its own and scored six unanswered until back-to-back three-pointers by Vitale ended the stretch and put the Cardinals back up by 20 with 4:15 to play in the half, 39-19.
- Gorman hit a jumper before the clock expired to give Wesleyan a 48-24 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals continued to increase their lead and a 10-0 run from 6:35-to-1:54 put them ahead, 65-34.
- Wesleyan held a 27-point lead entering the fourth quarter and a three-pointer by Gorman just 10 seconds in, lifted the lead back to 30.
- At the 5:55 mark, Vitale hit her sixth three-pointer of the game to give the home team its largest lead, 78-43.
- Wesleyan would cruise to an 82-48 victory, its largest win of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Vitale scored a game-high 18 points as she went 6-of-9 from downtown, falling just one shy of tying the Wesleyan single-game program record for three-pointers made in a game, held by Shaleen Bowman '03 (7). She was joined in double-figures by Gorman with 15, Bledsoe with 14 and Berger with 12. Bledsoe finished with a double-double as she pulled in a game-high 13 rebounds, while Berger added nine boards and five assists.
- The Falcons were led by Aliyanah McIntosh with 16 points and six steals, while Murphy Carroll scored 12 points and Maddison Carroll added 10.
- Wesleyan shot 41.2% (14-34) from behind-the-arc, and hit 10 three-pointers in the first half. The previous record for most three-pointers made in a game was 13 against Williams on January 12, 2010.