Score: Emerson 5, Fisher 0
Records: Emerson Lions (2-2-1) ; Fisher Falcons (0-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Sunday, September 10, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson men's soccer team saw three freshman connect with their first collegiate nets, including a pair from freshmen Galileo Mondol along with Parker Hughes(Annadale, N.J.) and Shawn Lee (Newport Coast, Calif.) as the Lions blanked Fisher, 5-0, in non-conference men's soccer action on Saturday afternoon at Rotch Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson held the shot advantage over Fisher, 15-11, and shots on goal (9-3), while Fisher had the 6-1 corner kick edge.
- Along with Mondol, Hughes and Lee, sophomore Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) also contributed a goal in the Lions win.
- Senior Warren Backman (Spring Hill, Fla.) was credited with a pair of assist and classmate Marco Correia(Tarrafel, Cape Verde) tallied one assist.
- Freshman keeper David Kemp (London, England) improved to 2-2 as he blanked Fisher on three attempts through 78 minutes, while classmate Jose Pablo Rios (Mexico City, Mexico) appeared in the net for 12 minutes in his collegiate debut.
- Kervens Surpris led Fisher with five shots, including three on goal.
- In net for Fisher to start off the game was Eliseu DiPena, who allowed one goal and made one save on two shots through 33 minutes, while Christopher Garcia finished the final 57 minutes and made three saves and allowed four goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson entered the second half with a 2-0 lead over Fisher, outshooting the Falcons, 7-6, with four shots on goal.
- Backman fired his free kick from the left wing and found the head of Hughes inside the right post, who knocked the ball into the right side to put the Lions up 1-0 seven minutes into the first half.
- The Lions added an insurance goal with 27 ticks on the clock after Mondol chipped Garcia in the crease and rolled his first collegiate goal into the right side.
- Emerson found the back of the net three times within the final 45 minutes and ballooned the score to 5-0.
- Garcia went to pass off the ball within the crease, but had Faucette come up on his left and stole the ball that ended up in an empty net within the 51st minute to bump the score to 3-0.
- On a feed from Correia at the top of the crease, he connected with Lee inside the left post and fire the fourth Lions goal past the reach of Garcia into the bottom right corner.
- Modol locked up the victory for Emerson as he sailed up the left wing and flicked his second goal of the game in the 59th minute mark.