Men's Hoops Falls 100-72 in Non-League Play

Men's Hoops Falls 100-72 in Non-League Play

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Cornell dominated the glass, shared the basketball and closed out non-conference season on a high, running past NAIA foe Fisher College 100-72 on Sunday afternoon at Newman Arena. The Big Red improved to 4-11 heading into Ivy League play, while the Falcons fell to 7-6 on the year.

The Big Red raced out to a 53-28 halftime lead, doubled up the smaller Falcons on the boards (48-24) and shot 56 percent from the floor with 28 assists in the easy victory. The 28 assists ranks second all-time in a single game in Cornell history, while its 16 3-pointers made tied a season high and ranks third in a contest. It was the 22nd 100-point game in school history and just the fifth of the 21st century.

Cornell placed five players in double figures, with sophomore Matt Morgan leading the way with 19 points and seven rebounds, all coming in the first half. Senior Robert Hatter and junior Wil Bathurst each had 14 points, with Bathurst adding seven assists, five rebounds and two steals in the victory. Sophomore Stone Gettings 13 points and nine rebounds to go along with four assists and four blocked shots, and classmate Jack Gordon had a career-high 11 points, including 3-of-4 from beyond the arc. All 11 players that Cornell dressed scored and grabbed at least one rebound.

Fisher's Kyle Holmes had a game-high 22 points and added six rebounds, three steals and two assists, while Darrell Grady (12 points, four assists), Cooper Neal (10 points, three assists) and Brodric Smith (10 points) all hit double figures for the visitors. The Falcons had 10 steals and connected on 47 percent of its shots after halftime and 42 percent for the game.

The Big Red took control early, going on a 13-3 run over 3:46 of game action after Fisher tied the game at 3-3. The Falcons were still squarely in the game 12 minutes in, as a 9-0 spurt by the visitors got Fisher within 23-19 and 25-21, but a Darryl Smith 3-pointer triggered a 30-6 Big Red burst over the next seven minutes to all but put the game away. A couple of Robert Hatter dunks and six Big Red 3-pointers during that span - three from Morgan and two from Bathurst - extended Cornell's lead to as many as 26 before going into the break up 53-28.

Cornell was never threatened in the second half, essentially trading baskets with the visitors while reserves saw significant minutes.The Big Red lead grew to as many as 33 points and never dipped below 23 over the final 20 minutes.The home team assisted on 13 of its 15 baskets in the second half, continuing to play unserlfishly to the end.

Sophomore Troy Whiteside had six points, eight rebounds and three assists, senior Darryl Smith and freshman Josh Warren chipped in six points apiece and senior JoJo Fallas continued his strong play from the backcourt with four assists and just one turnover, giving him 28 assists and just six turnovers in his last nine contests.